The door is one of the first things that the guests see when they come to your house. If you care about how your house looks then it is very important to have nice looking doors.
If your doors have started to look bad then maybe it’s time to refinishing them. Door sanding is a very easy task, but to get the results you wanted you will have to spend some time on them.
Before applying paint to the door, you need to sand them. You can do that with a sander and some other tools. Down below we will write a step-by-step guide for you to follow.
Tools that you need:
As I said before, sanding a door is easy, but you need the right tools to do it. The most important tool that you need to have is a sander. There are many different sander types.
If you don’t have one, then make sure to check our list of recommendations about the best sanders for furniture refinishing. Except for that sander, you also need some other tools:
- Protective Gears ( safety glass and dust mask )
- a Rag
How to sand a Door?
Step 1: Get all the tools
Before you start the whole process, make sure to have all the needed tools. Pick all the tools and put them in the place you are going to work. Take the newspapers and lay them around the working area.
Make sure that you cover every inch of the workplace or you will spend a lot of time cleaning the place from the dust once you are done.
Once you deal with the tools now it’s time to protect yourself. Wear protective gear such as your safety glasses and the dust mask. Make sure to keep them on all the time or you will be inhaling a lot of dust.
Read also: Best Sander For Wood Floors
Step 2: Sanding
There are three types of sandpaper that you are going to use. The medium sandpaper, the fine, and the very fine sandpaper. The medium sandpaper has grit numbers from 80-120. The fine sandpaper has grit numbers from 150-180 grit. And, the very fine sandpaper has grit numbers from 220-240 grit.
First, we will start with the medium sandpaper. Take the sandpaper and place it at the back of the sander and start sanding the door gently. Sand it up to the point where all the old paint has vanished and the door is scratch-free.
The medium sandpaper is mostly used for paint removal and to get rid of most of the scratches. If after the medium sandpaper you still have scratches then don’t worry. Take the fine sandpaper, put it at the back of the sander and start sanding again. The fine sandpaper will make sure that all the scratches are gone for good.
Now, it’s time for the final part. Take the very fine sandpaper, put it at the sander and start sanding all over again. Make sure to sand slowly and sand the whole door.
The very fine sandpaper is only used to give the door a final touch, meaning that once you are done with this your door will have a smooth finish and it’s ready to be painted.
Read also: Best Sander For Trim Work
Step 3: Clean
After you are done with the sanding, take the newspapers and remove them slowly from the workplace. Just to make sure, take a rag and start sweeping the whole area. And you are done!
Read also: Best Sander for Removing Paint from Cabinets
Things to keep in mind:
1.When sanding doors, to get the best results possible you will have to do it in the line of the grain. If there’s paint or scratches that don’t get removed after a normal sanding then here’s a little trick :
Tilt your medium sandpaper to 45 degrees and start sanding only the areas where there’s paint or any scratches left. This will force the paint or scratches to get removed.
2. While using the fine and very fine sandpaper you can sand in the line of the grain without any problem. These types of sandpapers are mostly used for finishing and giving the object a fine finish before painting.
3. If you don’t have a sander or you are facing difficulties while using one then there’s another alternative that you can use. You can use a sanding block to sand the door. Just make sure that the sandpaper is properly attached to it. But I have to say that if you use a sanding block then you will spend a lot more time and energy than using a sander.
4. If you are going to use a water-based paint for your doors then it’s recommended to sand the door one last time with very fine sandpaper just before painting. This will give the door a smooth finish and the paint will look even better once it’s dried.
Moreover, doing that will also help you to get rid of any of the scratches that you have missed. And as you know, water-based paint is very good at highlighting scratches. And that’s not something that you would want.
5. If you have kids then it’s important to keep them away. Not only they can be a distraction but also sanding produces a lot of dust and they can easily inhale it. That’s why it is always recommended to have a garage or a private space where you can do this. Ventilation is also necessary is you are working on closed spaces.
And this is it folks – this is how you sand your door. Since most of us have a lot of doors then it’s recommended to start with the ones that are very old. If you don’t have enough experience then you can start with a secondary door.
This is a very easy job, but it will take you a very long time, especially if you have decided to sand all the doors in your home. But, once you are done sanding and painting them then it will be all worth it. The doors will look new again and your house will look even better with them.
You Might Also Be Interested In: